Mom's Thoughts

Plainfield mom reflects on life with four little ones.

Saturday, September 01, 2007

Time for school...

It's September 1st and I'm almost ready for school.

The Steely Academy, located in Plainfield Indiana, will officially begin the 2007-2008 school year on Tuesday, September 4th. We have a second grader, a first grader and 2 preschoolers (ages 3 1/2 and almost 1year old).

The administrator/teacher (that would be me) is hopeful that the kids will enjoy the "structured" learning time.

My seven year old son loves to read... Encyclopedia Brown, Lord of the Rings, Chronicles of Narnia, signs, cereal boxes, e-mail over my shoulder, he reads everything. But, he has told me on more than one occasion that he doesn't like to write. That will be our challenge this year. Hopefully by the end of the year he will enjoy it or at least not hate it like he does now. I think it just takes a lot of effort and he's not really into exerting more than absolutely necessary.

My five year old daughter also enjoys reading she's not quite as advanced as the seven year old but enjoys Clifford the Big Red Dog, Mercer Mayer, Dr. Seuss, etc. And she loves to write. This year we will be working on neatness and spelling.

I love my kids and know that it is a privilege to be their mom and teacher.

Outside of school...
- My husband finally likes his engineering job.
- Our family is getting involved at Grace Church. My husband is excited to get back to working with the kids at church.
- We are volunteering with Exodus ( http://www.exodusrefugee.org/ ). We have connected with a wonderful family from Somalia. As we get to know them we are learning a bit of their language and helping them to learn English. (I think we have been being prepared for this as we've helped our four little ones learn to speak English. The two younger ones are still learning.)

My in-laws will be visiting tomorrow so I'd better do a bit of housework.
Hope September finds all of you who read my blog learning more each day.

One more thing, I'm not sure how to link to another blog but I've been reading one by a mom of six and it is just funny. I'm thankful my life is not as "exciting" as hers. I'll try and put the link here... http://www.mom2my6pack.blogspot.com/

2 Comments:

  • At 9/04/2007 11:32 PM, Blogger Teacher Mom said…

    I hope your first day of school went well today! We started on Aug. 14 and have been having a really good time so far. For writing, I love the book Games for Writing by Peggy Kaye. It has great ideas in it to get kids writing. I wish I had it for my reluctant writers when I was teaching public school. Your library might have it.

     
  • At 9/05/2007 5:43 PM, Blogger K. Karr said…

    Hey Sarah,
    I love reading your blog. Your family is so beautiful! It sounds like you are settling into life in Indiana. I love th somolian people. The last year i taught in inner city schools i had a little boy from Somolia who had never been in school before. It was a great experience. It is amazing how fast the children will learn English...and the slang too! For your reluctant writers check out a graphic organizer program called Kidspiration. It allows students to mindmap, brainstorm, etc... then changes to a traditional outline form. It is a great pre-writing activity to help organize or inspire ideas.http://www.inspiration.com/productinfo/kidspiration/index.cfm
    Ontiveros

     

Post a Comment

<< Home