Mom's Thoughts

Plainfield mom reflects on life with four little ones.

Saturday, March 22, 2008

The Garden

My husband and the kids planted the garden today.

He's been reading the Square Foot Gardening book - and today applied what it teaches.

We now have 2 boxes (each is a 4 foot square) in the back yard. The kids helped build the boxes, mix the sand and potting soil, and fill the boxes. Bending the pipe for the climbing plants was a family activity - oldest son and I stood on the pipe while husband bent it.

My wonderful husband planted the seeds. It was chilly here today so I'm thankful that he took care of it all.

I'm married to an engineer so he made a spreadsheet to calculate when the different vegetables should be ready for harvest.

I'm really looking forward to fresh tomatoes and lettuce.

2 Comments:

  • At 3/23/2008 12:56 PM, Blogger Robin said…

    What a great family project! I had to laugh when I read about your husband and the spreadsheet. My husband has an MBA and nothing makes him happier than when he finds a life application for a spreadsheet!

     
  • At 3/23/2008 9:45 PM, Blogger Mark said…

    Here is another great family project I have done. I thought your young gardeners would enjoy an indoor gardening adventure, growing the TickleMe Plant (Mimosa pudica). Recently featured by the National Gardening Associations Kids Store, http://www.kidsgardeningstore.com/14-1030.html
    If you want to give your young gardeners an experience they will never forget, consider having them grow a TickleMe Plant. This is the plant that will close its leaves and lower its branches when you tickle it. They sprout in days and can be grown indoors any time of year. Just Google TickleMe Plants or go to www.TickleMePlant.com for seeds and growing kits. This plant has turned many kids into plant and nature lovers. I know, because I grow TickleMe Plants in my classroom.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home