Mom's Thoughts

Plainfield mom reflects on life with four little ones.

Monday, March 17, 2008

the mailbox

I'm not the great writer that my husband is. So, if you're reading this it's probably because you are a friend or relative. But, anyway here are a few of my thoughts today.

My parents live on a dirt road outside the limits of a little village. The mailbox is near the end of the driveway. So, once a day someone treks out to get the mail. There's not a ton of traffic so someone often sees the mailman coming. I remember sending and receiving letters from my husband when we were teenagers and not romantically involved.

I've lived in many places and I've always enjoyed getting mail. I remember the mailboxes at IWU in the basement of the old student center. They had windows so you could look in and see if you had anything. It seems like someone even got an engagement ring in their mailbox - not me - I made it out of college single.

Well, right now we don't have a mailbox. In our little "village" we have banks of mailboxes. A couple of days ago, at about 2am ours got taken out by a truck (hit and run or would that be hit and drive?). So our mailbox has been removed and is awaiting repair. We have to drive into town to the post office to pick up our mail. So, I guess I won't be making my daily trek to the mailbox today. Husband has the van and I can't get 4 kids in the back seat of the car (legally).

4 Comments:

  • At 3/17/2008 9:37 PM, Blogger Loving Our Homeschool said…

    Well, I think you're a perfectly fine writer, and I love reading your blog! You just don't write on it ENOUGH! :o)

    But with what is it now, four kiddos, who can blame you for not writing on it more regularly?

    We love to see the mailman coming down our street, although the things he puts into the mailbox aren't usually that exciting. Today, in fact, one item frustrated me to no end. LOL

    And hey, I think I know who that "someone" was that got an engagement ring in her mailbox in the now-torn-down student center. I'm looking at said ring right now. :o)

    Have a great week!

     
  • At 3/18/2008 9:25 AM, Blogger IndyMom said…

    loving our homeschool,
    Thank you for your kind words. Ever since I got a D on my comma test in high school I've been insecure about my writing ability.
    I really enjoy your blog and appreciate the links you have on it. With the "four kiddos" I haven't taken the time to figure out how to do links. I was very excited when I finally figured out how to post picutres.

     
  • At 3/18/2008 9:17 PM, Blogger Loving Our Homeschool said…

    Oh my goodness, it is so EASY to do links! We will just have to make it a priority to get together this summer and I will teach you! :o)

    Good job on knowing how to post pictures. That's a start! Some people don't even know how to post a comment on someone else's blog, and all you have to do is click on "post a comment." LOL

    Heather

     
  • At 3/28/2008 12:16 PM, Blogger Donnetta said…

    Oh my, mentioning the mailboxes in the old student center sure brought back memories.

    I remember after chapel it seemed everyone would crowd in that tiny hall in hopes of something... anything!

    It was so cozy and family like. The new student center is very nice... but it seems maybe it has lost some of that nostalgia and warmness I remember of the one we had. (or maybe that "warmness" was just all the bodies coming and going all the time in there.) :-)

    Thanks for the reminder of such fond memories.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home