Mom's Thoughts

Plainfield mom reflects on life with four little ones.

Sunday, May 01, 2005

Replanted again

My mother-in-law has a really neat yard with lots of trees, flowers and other beautiful plants. From time to time she gets a new idea and makes some changes which might include moving a few things. Walking around the yard my husband will joke with a tree "haven't I seen you somewhere else?"

One day a couple of larger trees needed to go so "Dan the tree man" was called. He brought his equipment and took the trees away one at a time and brought back dirt plugs to fill the holes. My son, who was three at the time, loved watching and was even allowed to ride along as one of the trees was taken to it's new home.

This week as I have seen the trees and other plants blooming outside I've looked at my life and felt like a transplant. My parents have lived in the same house all of my life. It's nice to go back there and visit and just be. But, since I left home for college I've moved and moved and moved. I've lived in four states and had a dozen addresses. I've met some incredible people on my journey and, unlike plants, I'm able to stay in touch with friends - letters, phone calls and visits are great. But, it's not the same. I sure hope we can stay here for a while - even with the Crazy weather (snow last Sunday and today it's in the 50s) I like Lansing and hope my kids can grow up with the other kids from Faith Church.

I've had one of my Bibles (aren't we blessed in this country to have God's word so available to us) since 1989 and I've written notes in it throughout the years.
There's an Elisabeth Elliot quote that I copied down in June 1995. "The initial choice to go the whole way with God is made of necessity in ignorance of all that will follow." How true.
Another note says that faith is a struggle against anxiety and fear. When we experience the greatest difficulty we experience the greatest grace. How true.

I guess the last couple verses of Psalm 13 are my hearts cry today and I know God's mercy is new every morning.
"But I trust in your unfailing love; my heart rejoices in your salvation. I will sing to the LORD, for he has been good to me." Ps 13:5-6

1 Comments:

  • At 5/04/2005 11:46 AM, Blogger fetzer said…

    I am glad you are here. We should get together for dinner again. I really enjoyed playing with your kids last time.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home