Mom's Thoughts

Plainfield mom reflects on life with four little ones.

Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Chiggers


The kids and I had a good visit with my parents in Michigan.

The older two like to make trails in the weeds. They've been planning since our last visit how they would make their "weed house". Well, the weather was nice and they spent a couple of afternoons out in the weeds. And, they came home with bug bites.

I don't know what chicken pox look like and there were so many bites that I thought maybe... Well, I took them to the doctor and she diagnosed "Chigger bites".

"Maybe chicken pox" did get quite the reaction from the office staff - right away we were ushered through a back hall into a back room that is rarely used -I guess they don't want to risk having other patients exposed. I fed the kids Cheerios and filled out new patient info for the two older kids since this is the first time they've been to the doctor in over a year. I thought for sure they'd been to the doctor but I guess they've just gone with me for the two younger kids checkups. Our regular doctor was out so we saw one of her partners who happens to go to our church. It was nice to see a familiar face and she was great with the kids. She even sat down on the floor where I was because I had been changing a stinky diaper. She's got more than 3 kids so was quite comfortable in the crowded room. I was just so thankful she didn't make me feel dumb for bringing the kids in for bug bites.

Well, I'm thankful that it's chigger bites and not chicken pox. And, the bites should be gone in a couple of weeks - in time for school to start. The kids first day is August 13th.

1 Comments:

  • At 7/31/2008 9:44 PM, Blogger Loving Our Homeschool said…

    Ahhhh...chiggers. We got bit by those ALL the time when we lived in Oklahoma (when I was a kid). Nasty little things b/c you can't see them.

    I took Ashley to the dr. a few years ago b/c I thought she had the chicken pox. She even stumped the dr. for a minute. Apparently she just reacted in a strange way to mosquito bites. They looked so much like chicken pox!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home