Mom's Thoughts

Plainfield mom reflects on life with four little ones.

Monday, May 16, 2005

The Iliad and the Odyssey

My five year old son requested that I read to him yesterday. We read from a book I found at the thrift store. The Iliad and the Odyssey This edition was published by Barnes & Nobel, Inc. It has great pictures.

Last night we read about Telemachus, son of Odysseus, going to look for his father. We read of Odysseus being set free by the beautiful Calypso. We read about Odysseus asking for help from the King and Queen of Phaeacia and then telling of his adventures.

Daniel was especially interested in finally reading about the Cyclops. I didn't remember that after Odysseus and his men went into the cave of Polyphemus the Cyclops he ate of some them. For revenge Odysseus got the Cyclops drunk so he'd fall asleep. Then Odysseus and his men sharpened a pole heated it and thrust it into the Cyclops eye. Ugh! Next Odysseus said his name was Nobody. When Polyphemus called for help saying "Nobody is killing me, and Nobody has blinded me." his friends told him he was drunk and that he should ask his father Poseidon to help him. In the morning Odysseus and his friends escaped out of the cave by clinging underneath Polyphemus' sheep.

I'm sure I'll soon learn more Greek mythology since Daniel is ready for me to read now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home